Monday, March 27, 2006

Nightmare Situations

Today happened what I always dream of in my worst nightmares. You are driving, and someone suddenly jumps on the road and you hit him. Luckily it didn't happen to me, but I was involved as a witness. I just drove off Highway 101, coming from work ... then there is this underpass under a bridge where a lot of homeless people "live." It was dark and raining and suddenly I saw this guy running from the right side right onto the street. The car in front of me braked, but couldn't stop in time and hit him. I stopped right behind the woman, who was of course totally upset. We both went up to the man, who apparently seemed to be a drunk homeless guy, and checked on him. But you realize how helpless you are. You don't really dare moving an injured person, so we just talked to him. There was blood around his head. It was quite horrible. Some other homeless guy brought a blanket, and then finally 911 picked up the phone (after about 3 minutes). The woman told them where we are, and it took at least another 10 mintues by the time the police arrived - well, at least it seemed like it. Then the fire rescue arrived next, finally with some doctors, and at the very last the ambulance. All the while the woman and I were standing in the rain and the homeless guy she hit was lying on the hard, cold asphalt. I stayed because I wanted to make sure that the woman has a witness, and that it really wasn't her fault that she hit him. Honestly, in this case nothing will probably happen anyway. But imagine the same situation, a drunk but wealthy guy in the Marina who gets hit. He'll probably sue the shit out of the woman and win in the end. Sad sad world ... So, then the police guy started taking down our information and I could leave. I'm sure the whole thing caused a huge traffic jam on the 101 exit... I truly hope that after having been fined guilty for driving with only my parking lights on at the aiport in October, and having faced that cop this week, and now those ones, I'll finally have some peace. Well, and of course I hope the poor homeless guy gets the appropriate treatment - you never know - I'm sure he doesn't have insurance. Good night America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home