Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Back to the roots!

Hi twinga-blog addicts :-)! Several people complained that I haven't updated my blog since last weekend. Well, what I can say: do you want me to ONLY write nonsense, or occasionally wait until something really moves me ... for instance such a trivial thing like the German supermarket in Redwood City! Yes, today I went out with my dear colleague Theresa who went with me to "Gourmet House Staudt," just a few blocks down the street from the office. And, what can I say, I was amaaazzzed. They had Milka chocolate in all shapes and flavors, Kinder Surprise, Wuerstchen, eingelegter Hering, Knorr Soups (hurrayyyy!!!), many many different kinds of beer, German jams, etc. etc. I think I finally feel home :-). The owner wore Lederhosen, but had a North German accent. Why is it that North Germans suddenly LIKE to present themselves as Bavarians, even though they usually make fun of them??? We should charge a fee for pretending to be Bavarian - was meint's ihr??? But to be fair, I haven't asked him where he's from, and maybe he just forgot how to speak his mother tongue ;-).

Ah, nah nah nah!! I found it "Wiesbaden ist die Geburtsstadt von Lothar Staudt und seine Jugendjahre verbrachte er in der Nähe von Köln." Wiesbaden belongs to Hessen, so I was right! :-) But never mind - I'm glad Lothar aka Joe will from now on supply me with Kaesekuchen, Apfelstrudel, and Wiener Schnitzel! Wunderbar!


Inspired by having found something German, I searched for "German supermarkets San Francisco," (question to self: why didn't I do this earlier?), and I found another one that's described as follows:

Lehr's German Specialties - This one-of-a-kind store specializes in everything German, from chocolates to cosmetics to compact discs and videos. It's the perfect place to find a birthday present for your uncle Hans or to pick up an oom-pah-pah CD and start celebrating Oktoberfest any month of the year.

HA!!! I just noticed how German I really am: I have an "Onkel Hans," my grandpa loved oom-pah-pah, and the first time I ever got wasted was at Oktoberfest :-). Welcome to my world. PROST!

P.S.: And of course I'm also married to an Bavarian ...

3 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger Neha said...

Mmm, me too I LOVE knorr soups, potato & leek is the best. Ok, Navin looks great in that picture, your hussie truly a man of the world.

What's a oom-pah-pah? Sounds cute!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger twinga said...

Ha ha.... 'oom-pah-pah' is the sound of all the nice cute march music instruments, in particular the tuba :)

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling me how German we "really" are...LOL great entry and how cruel...so much truth lies in it. By the way, I read this on Friday but couldn´t answer because I had to be on time (another German must) and have couple of beers at the König von Flandern. P-R-O-S-T !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home